Monday, August 15, 2011

The End of Metformin

Metformin is a diabetes medication that has been known to help women with PCOS.  It is supposed to help regulate their hormones and help them to ovulate.  Well apparently, it worked!  Luckily I didn't have to face any of the awful side effects that it causes.

Anywho...it has also shown to help women with PCOS remain pregnant when taken through the first trimester.  Now, this is not a scientific fact, but who am I to dispute?  I would have stood on my head for 11 weeks straight if it would help to keep my child growing inside of me.

Last time I was pregnant, Dr. M took me off of it right away.  He said that there was no reason for me to be on it.  Well....we all know what happened.  Now, I don't know that it was related in any way shape or form, but I had to have something to blame the miscarriage on, right?

This time, I demanded to stay on it.  I mean, if it isn't going to hurt anything, then it isn't going to hurt anything.  It could only have helped my sanity.  :)  Saturday night was a bittersweet moment when I took my last Metformin pill. Yes, I know that first tri isn't over yet, but I ran out and it's close enough....

Again, I can't say that Metformin has attributed to the fact that I have been able to keep my baby this go round, but it has certainly helped me retain my sanity.
So for that, I thank you Metformin.  You were very good to me, but I hope to never see you again. Love, Kelli

No comments: