Thursday, October 20, 2011

Guilty

I feel like the worst mom ever and baby boy isn't even here yet.

I have been fighting off a cold for more than a week with no signs of it getting better.  I tried my hardest to by tough and push through without any kind of medicine other than simple Tylenol, but IT.WAS.NOT.WORKING.!!!

I called the doctor and after my very descriptive version of bodily fluids...she determined that I indeed have an infection and need an antibiotic.  She called it in for me and I waited two days to pick it up.  I didn't want to have to get it.

After much begging from my husband, and double checking with the pharmasist that it was ok that I take it, I paid for my package and left with my tail between my legs.

I can't believe that I am doing this....I can't believe that I am taking a prescription while pregnant...  As I swalled my first pill, all I could think about was giving my sweet little boy some sort of crazy birth defect.  I AM FEELING SO GUILTY ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.

I keep trying to remind myself to weigh the risks vs the benefits.  If I am sick, my baby is sick.  If I have an infection, my baby could get the infection.  Please God, let this horrible thing that I will dub as a "pregnancy cold" go fast.

Any other mothers out there have to take an antibiotic while pregnant?  Please help me to feel ok about my decision......

sniff sniff...cough cough....

1 comment:

Crystal Woods said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! They do have antibiotics that have been tested and are safe for pregnancy, and I'm sure your doctor wouldn't have prescribed something that wasn't. I take a low dose antibiotic consistently to treat/prevent reoccurring UTI's. Without the antibiotics, things would be hell.

Having the infection likely poses more risks than the treatment, so don't worry, I'm sure your baby is just fine in there! Rest up, and take care of yourself, and feel better soon!! :)