Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Diaper Decision......

I know that all of you have been on pins and needles waiting for me to make my big diaper decision....so here it is:

We have decided to make every effort of cloth diapering our little one.  It's really been a difficult decision to make and I have gone back and forth about a thousand times.  But, I have one thing going for me that is most women's biggest battle....my husband is 100% on board!  I am so thankful for his support...I could not ask for a better father for my child!! And while I am speaking out about support, I will give a special shout out to Erin at Growing a Foosa and Ashley at The Pollock Potluck for their helpful videos and answering my silly questions!  They both have inspired me so much and helped to make a decision that will be best for baby, the environment, and most of all OUR WALLET!

There are soooo many types of cloth diapers out there (which I think contributed to my anxiety about the situation).  I have done a ton of research and am still by no means an expert.

I have decided to go with FLIP's when Owen is with us, and pocket diapers when he is at daycare or grandma's house.

The FLIP diaper is a very cost effective way to cloth diaper and consists of a water proof cover that looks exactly like a disposable diaper and a prefold (your mother's cloth diaper) to go inside.  With these, you just change the prefold when baby is wet/ dirty and reuse the cover (as long as it has not been touched). 

This is what they look like:














I have bought 6 covers in super cute colors and intend on buying about 20-24 prefolds (not sure which kind yet).

The other type of diaper that we have chosen to go with is a pocket diaper.  This diaper looks and acts exactly like a disposable, it just has a cloth inserted inside the diaper for extra absorbtion.  When the diaper is wet/dirty, you just take the whole thing off and slap on a new one.  The only difference is that you put it in a wetbag to be washed instead of throwing it away.

Easy Peasy.....

This is what they look like:















I know that most people are turned off by the thought of cloth diapering their children.  I'm not really sure why????  I get that doing poopy laundry is not the most appealing thing ever, but I would like to speak with just one mom that has never washed anything poopy.  All babies poop and all diapers leak at some point or another.  It's really no different.

One advantage that I think that we have going for us is that I work from home 2 days a week and Darren is home 1 day a week.  So we have the extra time to do extra laundry.  I can absolutely understand where it would be difficult for someone with a full time job who doesn't get home until 5:30 and then has to feed, bathe, and put baby to sleep would not have much time for laundry....but for us, it just works out.

I know that this is going to be a challenge.  I know that there will be days when I will want to give up.  I know that it is not the traditional way of doing things (these days anyway).  But it is what we have chosen to do.  So if you know me in real life, please just accept the fact that we are going to try this route and don't try to be negative about it.  We are going to give it 100% and if in the end it doesn't work out, then at least we tried.  And if it does work out....then I promise not to gloat!  :)

4 comments:

mama foosa said...

aww thanks for the shout out :) You guys will do great with the diapers! It will be an adjustment, but I hope you find it to be worth it! best of luck!

MrsAgnor said...

You shouldn't feel like you have to defend yourself to anyone Kelli! You guys are going to do great. And any choices you make when it comes to raising your son will be just that... your choice! That's the great thing about being a mom :)

Kelli said...

Thanks guys! The support is such a welcomed change from the negative that everyone gives as soon as the words come out of my mouth. It will all be great, I just know it!

Ashley said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm so glad you've chosen cloth. It will be easier than you think and you'll be set when you continue to grow your family!